1) Reduce and stabilize your population
2) Stop poisoning the air, the water, and the topsoil.
3) Stop preparing for war and start dealing with your real problems.
4) Teach your kids, and yourselves, too, while you’re at it, how to inhabit a small planet without helping to kill it.
5) Stop thinking science can fix anything if you give it a trillion dollars.
6) Stop thinking your grandchildren will be OK no matter how wasteful or destructive you may be, since they can go to a nice new planet on a spaceship. That is really mean and stupid.
7) And so on. Or else.
— from a list indicated in page 112 of Fates Worse Than Death: An Autobiographical Collage of the 1990s by American writer Kurt Vonnegut